Full Job Description for: Finance Clerk
The Finance Clerk is responsible for accounting entry and processing for Educare, a model early childhood school in West Chicago, Illinois. The position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration and must be knowledgeable or willing to learn about the Child Care Assistance Program, Head Start grantee requirements, and ISBE state grants. The Finance Clerk must ensure adherence to internal controls and implementation of fiscal policies and procedures required by federal, state and private funding sources.
Exemption Status: Part Time, Hourly
This position will begin as a part-time position averaging approximately 22.5 hours per week, with the position being re-evaluated after 90 days to determine the possibility of moving to full-time.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Finance and Administration
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties and responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Receive payroll reports and calculate program allocations according to established templates monthly to each of the five major funding sources (EHS, HS, PFA, PFAE, and PI)
- Review the monthly CACFP (breakfast, lunch, and snack) and Non-CACFP hours match the hours on the timesheets for each employee involved in serving children meals.
- Assist with year-end processing of 1099 and other required paperwork.
- Process approved expense reports according to reimbursement policies.
- Review and enter approved bills into the organization’s general ledger system using full allocation coding; process for payment on a regular schedule cycle, or when authorized.
- Maintain all designated filing systems to ensure the records are audit-ready and compliant with best practices.
- Maintain adherence to fiscal policies and procedures in accordance with federal funding, be familiar with fiscal policies and maintain for relevance.
- Enter parent co-payments information into the general ledger system biweekly.
- Enter and Review DHS payments into the general ledger monthly.
- Enter and Review parent co-payment amounts in the general ledger monthly.
- Compare parent balances in the general ledger to the Child Plus parent balances on quarterly basis, and reconcile as required.
- Compare and review Child Plus monthly for accuracy for attendance and meal counts.
- Prepare the total meal recap for birth-3 and 3-5 for breakfast, lunch, and snack for each month.
- Using the total meal recap, prepare the reimbursement summary for each (birth-3 and 3-5) and calculate the commodities amount for lunch for each group.
- Prepare monthly invoices of expenditures, and allocate payroll (EHS, HS, PI, PFA, T&TA, and others.)
Routine Receivable Monitoring
- Maintain regular schedule of aged receivables, issue reports to designated management for response and action. Log and follow-up for response. Aggregate replies for management review and action.
Ad Hoc Information Requests
- Assist with information requests by gathering financial data and producing special reports from the general ledger.
- Assist with year-end audit documentation requests.
- Documentation and policy and procedures for fiscal duties.
- Work with kitchen staff to keep menus up to date and follow CACFP guidelines.
- Special Projects assigned by the management team.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- The successful candidate must have a degree in a finance-related field with at least two years of successful bookkeeping or accounting experience. Non-profit or government environment experience preferred.
- Familiarity with state and federal funding sources.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work with Office suite software.
- The successful candidate will be fluent in QuickBooks or comparable accounting software.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work and maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive and private information.
- Ability to manage a wide range of tasks, maintaining well organized and disciplined processes.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work well with a wide range of people.